April 9, 2011

Why I Race - Reason #117

We all have different reasons for running, racing and staying in shape.  Most of us have more than one reason and often those reasons change over time.  This weekend my good friend, Goldilocks, talked me into running the Gulf Coast Half Marathon in Pensacola.  Here's why:

3.  It's in Pensacola, which is only 3.5 hours away.  Well... I'm driving, so 3 hours away.  Easy peasy.  Plus, with good friends, time flies.


2.  It'll be a good training run for Nashville, which is a mere 3 weeks away at this point.  Getting long runs (or short runs) done in the New Orleans heat is increasingly difficult especially when you start sweating before you walk out the door.  A run where someone else will be providing regular cool beverages for you and reward you at the end is   so   awesome.


1.  The medal is a bottle opener.  Seriously.  That is awesome.  Oh!  And the race is on a beach.  And the postcard we got to advertise the event a few months ago didn't show people running... it showed people drinking beer on a beach.  Now that's what I call a fun run.

6 comments:

  1. I'd be all over that too! Have a great time before, during and after the race!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you were still here in October there is another in the same series in Mandeville. WHY ARE YOU LEAVING US?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beer, beach, and bottle opener!?! You have me wanting to sign up!

    I'm doing Nashville too! Let me know if you want to meet up. It would be great to get a blogger meet up going :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i wanted to do this race but it was too close to Big Sur! maybe next year :) can’t wait to read the race report! have fun and good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with One Crazy Penguin - sign me up - I'll figure out how to get 26.2 squeezed out of my body! Sounds like a whole lotta' fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. awesome awesome medal!!!! woo, i get excited when i keep seeing bloggers talking about coming to nashville!!!

    ReplyDelete