November 28, 2010

The Final Countdown


1 week left until the California International Marathon and I have over 2500 miles to drive between now and then.  For the month of December I planned a 3 week road trip during which I will:

2008 NYC Marathon
1.  Have 5 interviews (priority #1)
2.  Run CIM
3.  Need creativity to get in my runs & cross-training
4.  Spend way too much money (not a goal, but a reality)
5.  Meet & marry Ryan Reynolds

I recognize that #5 is *somewhat* less likely than the rest but not impossible.  What can I say?  He's the Green Lantern and rumor has it he ran shirtless in New Orleans every day during filming.  Let's just say that there were a couple months when I was very motivated to get in extra runs.

On one hand, I think the trip will be a blast.  I'm going to see a ton of friends & family I haven't seen in a while and hang out in some really cool cities.  On the other hand, racing CIM after driving 36 hours in 3 days is a recipe for disaster not ideal.  Some serious stretching is on the agenda for every night of the trip.

As for my goals, I normally don't like putting them in writing but that's exactly what I'm going to do next.  Keeping goals to yourself makes it easy to wimp out.  By making them public you can't back down without everyone knowing you wussed out didn't accomplish your goals.  So what are they?

-My "A" goal is 3:35.  A comfortable BQ.  I'll only start off at that pace if I'm feeling well rested and loose.
-My "B" goal (translate as my "I-will-be-pissed-if-I-don't-get-it" goal) is finishing under 3:40.  BQ by a hair but I think this is well within reach.
-My "C" goal is to not sh*t my pants or die.  The former would be worse than the latter, but I would prefer to avoid both.  As I mentioned, I have interviews this week and it is highly likely that some of the interviewers will be at CIM, either running or manning the Medical tents.  I don't want to show up on interview day and have everyone know me as that girl.
Here's one option.
Starting Wednesday, I'll be aiming for Sacramento, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Albuquerque and some smaller places in between.  It's likely I will fall off the posting band wagon for at least some of the trip, but I'll do my best.  I hope all of you are steadily recovering from the National Binge Fest, otherwise known as Thanksgiving.  In the meantime, do any of you have suggestions for what I should see or do while out West?

6 comments:

  1. Wait, I thought you were running this weekend. I really thought you had a marathon this past weekend, somewhere in OH. I thought you were going to BQ at a marathon in Cincinnati or Cleveland. Did I make this up? Am I losing it?
    ***
    Did you see Mr. Reynolds while they were filming on Cherokee this summer? I did...and I also robbed the snack truck. Don't tell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a true adventure . . . with or without becoming Mrs. Reynolds. Have fun, be safe, and enjoy every moment. Good luck with the training, the interviews, and ultimately the race.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The absolute worst would be to shit your pants AND die. Ryan Reynolds wouldn't like that.

    Great goals...go get 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the goals;) You are all over the place, have so much fun! Thanks for the congrats:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your C goal is my goal each and every day. Good luck with BQ!!

    Tell Ryan I said hi!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck on the race and your interviews!

    ReplyDelete